Professional singing requires a mix of talent, skill and discipline. There are many things to keep in mind before you think of turning your passion for singing into a full-time career option.
Do you also dream of becoming a full-time professional singer? Here is a step-by-step guide to help you kickstart your singing career.
1. Build a solid social media presence
The music industry is highly competitive and you may face cut-throat competition to get noticed. The best place to get discovered and increase your following is through social media.
You can start by uploading music covers on YouTube, Facebook or Instagram. With the presence of social media platforms especially in these times, you can easily show your talent and promote your music. Social networking platforms are easily accessible to everyone, so make use of the technology to your advantage.
- Find your own voice, come up with unique ideas for content to keep your audience engaged.
- It becomes easier for talent scouts and managers to approach you if you have a strong fan base and engagement rate
2. Develop your skill set
A successful singer is one who practices their skills to master their craft. Look for different ways to improve your skill set and work on your personal identity.
- Try learning at least the basics of music theory, or any musical instrument to understand the technical aspects of singing. Understand the type of your voice, vocal range and genre that brings out the best in you.
- Be the best of both worlds – write your own songs and send them to record labels for getting recognised by music producers.
3. Try everything out
Attend as many open-mic events as you can. Give performances and auditions to build an impactful on-stage presence. Not only will this help you with boosting your confidence but, you will also learn how to become an incredible performer.
- You can also participate in singing competitions or sing for local bands to get exposure and hone your singing skills. The simplest way is to get on stage and give your best!
- Do not hesitate to perform at different college events, social gatherings or even at small gigs. Every small opportunity is an excellent way to engage with the audience and showcase your talent.
Use your network to connect with music producers, record label executives who can help you enter the music industry. If you have what it takes to become an established artist, no one can stop you from becoming the next voice of the nation!
4. Take singing classes:
One does not necessarily require a bachelor’s degree to become a successful singer. Hiring a personal coach/trainer is also a good option but it can be really expensive.
However, if you want to support your vocal talent, you can take singing classes or do some online certification courses in music. It is a perfect way to learn the fundamentals and technicalities of singing for beginners.
Success in a singing career comes with incessant practice and smart work. If you have singing talent and abilities, do not let society tell you otherwise. Develop a positive outlook towards your passion and work on it every single day to make a living out of it. It is going to be hard but at the end of the day, the results will be rewarding and satisfactory!
Online singing lessons with Monali Thakur
We are offering online singing classes by the award-winning singer Monali Thakur. Sign up for her exclusive unluclass to know about the ins and outs of singing as a career. Check out our website for more information on this online singing course.